Located on the northwest coast of Tasmania, Burnie was originally settled in 1827 as “Emu Bay.” The town was later renamed after William Burnie, a director of the Van Diemen’s Land Company. The first settlers literally carved a village out from the rain forests and tea-tree swamps that occupied the area. After mineral deposits were discovered in Tasmania, the town prospered. In the late 30s, Burnie’s industry bloomed even more when Associated Pulp and Paper Mills Limited began large production.
Shore excursions are not currently available for this filters selection. If new shore excursions are developed, they will be added to this page once complete